January 9, 2009

Tales from the Crypt

I thought the title was appropriate considering I will be briefly (probably not) discussing my PSP. This old lug has been around with me since a year after its release. Good times. Now my PSP found little use for many many months after my initial receipt because I never bought many games. That all changed when I stumbled across the modding community and found out that Lumines could downgrade my PSP and let me install Dark_Alex's custom firmware. Needless to say I have been a loyal user of his firmware ever since.

Things started out simple and I only toyed with things that wouldn't screw up anything in fear of turning my little pal into a brick. When the Jigkick battery and Magic memorystick were released to the general public that fear went out the window. Thank you Team Pandora and Dark_Alex.

I have used my PSP for many purposes on and off over the last few months. Anything from getting on MSN to streaming Youtube videos. Now what I realize is that this little thing is a great tool for a good prank. At least from what my friend Jack Malick has told me. He described a few scenarios and I have to agree with him.

One such scenario involved using Ahmen's shell replacement IRShell and using the infrared capabilities of the PSP-1000 to mess with people in department stores near the tv's. Not a bad idea all in all. May have to pull something like this on my old job. I am sure Malick would be more than willing to help out with.

I don't know if Sony realizes the potential some homebrew software and games have. I have played some interesting games and I've already mentioned some of the capabilities of the software out there for anyone with a modded PSP. I keep a memory stick in my PSP case that has all my homebrew apps and the few games I like to stop for a bit to play. Homebrew honestly has been the one thing that keeps me picking my PSP up here and there. probably will be since good PSP games in my book are hard to come by. Last good PSP game I played was Crisis Core, but I will save my full opinion on my adventures with that game for another time. Yes, I know. Cheap way of ensuring a future post. Gotta have something to do right?

With the release of the PSP-3000, a claim was made that it would be nearly impossible to hack. My first thoughts, someones just raised the red flag of a challenge. So far the only progress made is being able to run unsigned code on the user level portion of the kernel. This is just the beginning and I am sure Dark_Alex is out there working on this obstacle lain down by the Sony development team. Good luck to the homebrew developers out there, I'll be looking for some of those killer apps to give me a reason to use my PSP more than I do now.

No comments: