April 23, 2009

Another Year

Once again, this day has rolled around. Another year older, but feel the same as ever. Well at least I am one year closer to drinking myself into a stupor a few nights a month. Nah, I doubt I will do that honestly.

Enough of that, seems I will be receiving some old computer hardware later tonight when I go into my graveyard shift. Hey, free is free even if it is outdated tech. I know I can salvage the monitor for my old desktop and maybe turn the tower of this new PC into a Linux server to stick in my closet with a wifi card. Well, I don't have an extra wifi card laying around so I will just run a cable through my room for now until a better solution presents itself. The real question is...what will I use the server for?

I already have a SSH tunneling system that is set up on my router, so that is out of the question. Hmm...well for lack of a better purpose: Folding at Home. Desktop (A.K.A. Borgcollective, don't ask) already runs the client as a service so why not add another to my small little farm.

I know, a better web server for my personal needs would be very useful, maybe even toss a Ventrilo setup on it just for laughs. Well, I suppose all this depends on how old the hardware is but I know I will at least get a FaH client running on it. The rest is yet to be determined.

No comments: